Earth-friendly energy savings from recycled newspapers
In addition to saving trees by using discarded newsprint, studies have shown that there is no breakdown of cellulose insulation over time in terms of fire resistance, moisture absorption, mold growth, corrosive action or paper degradation. Additionally, this material has passed years of stringent testing and meets all building codes.
This insulation material will not promote the growth of molds and mildew, yet is non-toxic. Recently, deleterious health effects have been found when molds are allowed to grow, undisturbed, inside walls and basements. Fortunately, the vast majority of molds are harmless to humans and pets. However, certain molds can damage building structures by literally destroying wood building components through decay. Cellulose insulation products can be made with a boron-based, E.P.A. registered fungicide, which makes the insulation resistant to mold. Under federal law, a claim of mold resistance can only be made by a product which contain a fungicide registered with the E.P.A. for use in that product. The fungicide available for use in these products also works as an effective flame retardant. The additional concern of insect damage is answered by cellulose insulation, too, with safe, non-toxic additives which are alternatives to hydrocarbon-based, toxic pest control products.
Cellulose insulation is also very effective as a sound control material. This is especially useful to halt sound transmission within interior spaces, such as floors and plumbing walls. Cellulose insulation makes a home quiet, secure, and most of all, warmer in winter, cooler in summer, increasing the efficiency of any heating and cooling system.
Non-toxic flame, insect, and mold resistance makes this type of insulation the first choice in construction of any high-performance, energy-saving home.
Back to technologies!
For more information please contact Future Green Chatham project.
© 2007 Martin Purnell and Associates LLC
Site maintained by Partnering Solutions